by Nick Stone of Drawnlines Politics.
This week President Obama delivers his first State of the Union speech. Will he face the daunting task of telling us the truth about our economy and national security? If he does, he’ll definitely be on the wrong side of a landslide in 2010 and 2012.
In the year since Obama has been our president:
- Unemployment has soared from 7.2 percent to 10 percent and job losses mount still.
- Job seekers outnumber available jobs by a historical high of 6:1
- Sinking dollar makes world leaders consider switching to Euro for oil trading
- Americans fall victim to record foreclosures.
- Two of the scariest, evilest nations on Earth have test fired nuclear missiles.
- An underwear bomber narrowly failed to explode a US-bound airplane (worked like a charm!)
- Terrorists are getting Miranda rights and a free trip to NYC!
- Our eastern bloc allies have been thrown under the bus from our defense shield.
- Our staunchest ally in the world, Israel, is nervous at best over our commitment to them
- Our president has apologized for America and her way of life at the UN in NY, Copenhagen, Germany, France, England, and Egypt.
- Extremists and terrorists around the globe still hate us and want us dead despite O’s “charm offensive”
The hard truth is that the State of our Union is quite rough and worsening. This is no longer George Bush’s economy.
Worst of all for the president is that he doesn’t seem to realize just how bad things really are. Either that or he just doesn’t care. On Election Day 2008, 5% of Americans said that Health Care Reform was their number one priority. The president spent the vast majority of the year trying to ram his HC plan down the throats of Americans anyway.
Multiple times that figure said in 2008 that Washington spending was their number one concern, yet this president outlayed more new spending in the first month of his administration than any president’s entire time in office in history – including Reagan and Bush. Omnibus, Stimulus, Obamacare and Cap and Trade have formed an unpalatable cocktail that threatens to depress our economy and prosperity for generations.
Overwhelmingly the number one concern of most Americans has been the economy, yet President Obama has unveiled a slew of new taxes and regulations that make employers leary of hiring or expanding their businesses. Every part of the employment process has gotten worse or threatened to become worse under the Obama administration. From the interview (don’t hire somebody who’s male, white, or qualified or you shall face the gallows!) to employment taxes, from the cost to flip a light switch to the cost of company picnics costs have skyrocketed. The costs to buy raw material, manufacture it into a product, and sell that product to a client have all risen under this president. And if a business does manage to eek out a profit in spite of this onslaught, that business is immediately under suspicion and targeted. His policies are perilously anti-growth, no matter his words.
Barack Obama inherited an actute big mess and turned it into a giant, chronic disaster. In one year, America has transformed from a nation that cheered individual and economic success into one which berates and belittles it. In that year America has sunk from a nation which helps its allies and undermines its foes into one which does the exact opposite. It has turned from a nation which uses unprecidented means to protect Americans and target terrorists into one that calls Republicans “extremists” while terrorists are given undue rights. The State of our Union is grave and dire.
Bravo, Mister President.
There’s ALWAYS something new happening at Drawnlines Politics.
For videos and archives visit our homepage
Check out our new Election Center!